Essential Interviewing Skills for Disease Intervention
The goal of this training is to provide health department staff conducting disease intervention activities with a solid foundation to effectively facilitate investigative interviews with clients. The training will cover universal interview components, examining stigma and implicit bias, strengths-based approaches, motivational interviewing, sex positivity and demographic data collection.
Held over 2 consecutive weeks, this training consists of:
- Live webinars: 6 sessions (2-3 hours each)
- Self-study material: 5-6 hours
You must complete approximately 5-6 hours of self-study each week before attending the live training meetings.
Upcoming Training Dates
Registration closes 3 business days prior to the first live training at 5 PM.
- October 2 to 13
- October 23 to November 3
- November 6 to 17
- December 4 to 15
Live Meeting Dates (6 meetings over 2 weeks)
All live meetings will be held from 10 AM to 1 PM Pacific Time.
October Cohort 1
- October 2
- October 4
- October 6
- October 10
- October 12
- October 13, learner will self enroll into a 1-hr slot
October Cohort 2
- October 23
- October 25
- October 27
- October 31
- November 2
- November 3, learner will self enroll into a 1-hr slot
- November 6
- November 8
- November 9
- November 14
- November 16
- November 17, learner will self enroll into a 1-hr slot
- December 4
- December 6
- December 8
- December 12
- December 14
- December 15, learner will self enroll into a 1-hr slot
Training Team Contact
Register on CPPR Learn
Note: Please use Google Chrome to access the CPPR Learn registration page and website.
Training Course Information
Audience/Who Should Register: Local Health Jurisdiction (LHJ) and state employees who will be facilitating disease intervention interviews with members of the public.
Length of Training: This training has 6 sessions over 2 weeks. It includes approximately 5-6 hours of online self-study and 18 hours in live webinars. Every week, you must complete approximately 2 hours of self-study on CPPR Learn before going to the weekly live training.
- Complete a disease intervention conversation using all the universal disease interview components.
- Explain the reason for each of the universal disease intervention components to your clients in lay terms.
- Examine how your biases can negatively impact the health care provided to racially, ethnically, and linguistically diverse patients.
- Use motivational interviewing to uncover essential information during disease intervention conversations.
- Use a strengths-based approach to help your clients adopt prevention, testing, treatment, and other services.
- Reduce the impact of stigma during disease intervention interviews.
Cancellation and Refund Policies: Please notify program team 48 hours before training date if you would like to cancel or reschedule. Classes are free of charge and no refund will be provided.